10 Ways to Make Your Bathroom Safer
Stay safe and avoid accidents in the bathroom with just a little forethought.
- Use slip-resistant decals in the tub and rubber-based bathmats on the floor to protect against slips and falls.
- Don't store toxic cleaning supplies under the sink in reach of children. If you do, make sure cabinets have child-proof locks.
- Children can drown in very small amounts of water. Never leave children unattended in the bathroom and if you can, install a lock on the outside of the bathroom door, above the child's reach, and keep it locked when not in use.
- If there are older people in your home, a bath or shower seat in the tub will increase comfort and safety.
- Benches and seats will also provide a stable surface for shaving legs.
- Set your water heater to no higher than 120°F to avoid getting scalded.
- Install grab bars in the shower/bath.
- Put in a nightlight – preferably one that illuminates the entire floor.
- Install a faucet cover to protect children from bumping their heads while bathing.
- Keep all hairdryers, styling irons and electric shavers unplugged and away from water sources.